Located in the heart of Stafford, Staffordshire, England, the Ancient High House is a historic building that stands as a testament to the rich history and heritage of the region. This magnificent structure, one of the finest Tudor buildings in the country, is now a museum and a popular tourist attraction. With its stunning architecture, fascinating exhibits, and deep-rooted local history, the Ancient High House is a cultural landmark that offers a unique glimpse into England’s past. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, an architecture lover, or simply looking for things to do in Stafford, a visit to the Ancient High House is a must.
History of the Ancient High House
The Ancient High House was built in 1595 for the wealthy Dorrington family. It is one of the largest timber-framed townhouses in England. Over the centuries, it has served various purposes, including a civil war headquarters, a school, and a hotel. Today, it is owned by the Stafford Borough Council and is preserved as a museum, showcasing the rich English heritage and local history of Stafford.
Attractions at the Ancient High House
The Ancient High House is home to several permanent exhibitions that offer a fascinating insight into the history and culture of Stafford. These include:
- The Victorian Room: A recreation of a typical Victorian-era room, complete with period furniture and decorations.
- The Civil War Room: Displays artifacts and information about the English Civil War, including the role of the Ancient High House during this period.
- The Staffordshire Yeomanry Museum: Showcases the history of the Staffordshire Yeomanry, a local military regiment.
- The Stuart Stafford Room: Features a collection of Stuart-era furniture and artifacts.
In addition to these permanent exhibits, the Ancient High House also hosts a variety of temporary exhibitions and events throughout the year, making each visit a unique experience.
Visiting the Ancient High House
The Ancient High House is open to the public from Tuesday to Saturday, and admission is free. Guided tours are available for groups, but they must be booked in advance. The museum also offers educational visits for schools, providing an engaging way for students to learn about local history.
Tips for Tourists
Here are some tips for tourists planning to visit the Ancient High House:
- Plan your visit: Check the museum’s website for the latest information on opening times and any special events or exhibitions.
- Take your time: There’s a lot to see at the Ancient High House, so allow plenty of time to explore all the exhibits.
- Don’t forget your camera: The Ancient High House is a stunning piece of architecture, and its interiors are equally impressive. You’ll definitely want to capture some photos of your visit.
The Ancient High House is not just a museum; it’s a journey through time, offering a unique insight into the history and heritage of Stafford. Whether you’re a local or a tourist, a visit to this historic building is sure to be a memorable experience.